Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day 6 - Crazy Horse

WOW! What a night last night. Got to see one of the greatest memorials at night last night. Got back to an air conditioned room with wifi. I was able to choose a few of the pictures from yesterday to post on the blog. When I finally finished and went to bed it was well over midnight. I ended up having to turn the AC up to warm up a little. I was freezing! This morning I'm the one running slow. I'm going to get ready for today's adventures. Oh yea, here is the panoramic view from our window. For me it is quite relaxing. Look at the lines. See the organic in the non-organic. Do you see the colors. The details...I better get ready for the day.

We decided to go have lunch at the the Alpine Inn in Hill City based on a recommendation from my college friend Dollie Bothwell. It differently was not disappointing. I would recommend eating here if you ever have the opportunity while you are in the Black Hills. After lunch we walked the strip looking at some of the art shops and jewelry stories. Found one shop that sold handcrafted batik items. After a short walk we got caught up on some needed laundry at a local gas station/laundry mat/restaurant. While waiting on the laundry I finished a book called The Small House Book. It talks about living within our means by building a small structure. There are people who build houses that are 120 square feet. Some are built on wheels (trailer) and some are stationary. I would like to build a small cabin for the Lake Rathbun someday. Once we folded and collected our laundry we headed back to Keystone. I ended up finding a side road while in Keystone and took it. Started off paved but soon turned into a level B road. It made a big "U" around a hill. I think Mari really did not like the adventure. We did make it back intact.



We went to the Crazy Horse Memorial tonight. We went later in the evening so we could watch the laser show. Once we got there we did the bus ride up to the base of the mountain to view the sculpture up close. The driver/tour guide was very informative. He is a farmer/rancher from eastern South Dakota. His wife and him are here for the summer to help. They are fulfilling a bucket list item. I got a few neat picture while on the bus ride. After the bus ride we checked out the facilities and watched the movie about the making of the memorial. Sculptor Korczak Ziolkowski had a dream and it is being carried on by his family to finish the work. The museum was also great too. After the touring the museum we went out to the car and waited for the laser show to start. We had picked a prime location and setup our chairs and I setup my tripod with the camera to do some time lapse photography. Check out the memorial, the artists studio and facilities. It would be worth your time. Check out the some of the photos I attached.  We got back to the hotel after 10:45pm.

Tomorrow brings on a new day and it is after mid-night here. So, good night.







 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment